Sunday, June 13, 2010

Are Things Really Getting Better?

I've always been an optimist. And I'm not going to change. I know things will get better eventually (economically speaking), but this is painful! I wonder that we sit passively by and wait for better days. We just went to the polls and expressed disenchantment with some incumbent office holders; is that it?

I saw a bit on a news show about a small community in Florida that banded together to build a barricade of barges to keep the oil spill from damaging their beaches. It worked. Government and Coast Guard alike were reluctant to let the town go ahead with their barge plan. The head of the group told the powers that "we're going to do it anyway." And they did.

I started this blog because I perceived a way to encourage producers to film here, creating local employment, by trying to build an audience of Californians grateful to watch their products if they were filmed here. Will it make a difference? All I know for certain is that I will not stop trying.

What else can we do as individuals? Do you have ideas? It really is up to us you know.

Sharon

1 comment:

  1. My ex-husband has an MBA and works in marketing and from him I learned a simple concept. Companies would love to be able to shove products down our throats but the truth of the matter is the choice is ours. Through him I learned voting with our dollars is a powerful tool and one I constantly utilize. I reward companies who I feel are good ones and penalize those that are not by not buying their products or services. Lately I have been spending extra time researching on the internet before I make big purchases and reading labels looking for "Made in the USA" on them. Sometimes I pay more but it is worth the extra cost. If everyone started demanding that the products we buy be made in America things would change. Because of your blog Sharon, I am becoming more aware of supporting films in California and will vote with my dollars on them too. Maybe I will try to expand my research to patronize companies located in California. Perhaps my small effort doesn't make a big difference but I feel better about my purchases and can only hope that more people will start doing it too.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete