Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday is TV Fundamentals

I don't subscribe to Showtime, but I'm going to try it for the month of August. It costs $15.99 a month, but I think it may be worth it. Not only does Showtime have some critically acclaimed programing that frequently ends up receiving Emmys and Golden Globes, they are filming much of it in California. Weeds and Californication are both filmed here; Dexter is filmed here and in Miami; and the new reality show The Real L Word is also filmed here. As we get further into the season I will research more of Showtime's schedule, but this is a pretty good start.

One thing that Showtime seems to specialize in is dark comedy that skirts an outrageously fine line. All the way from a suburban mom who sells drugs, to a serial murderer who is trying to lead a normal life, to a writer who appears to have a sex addiction, to a reality show following six lesbians. Cable TV can't boast the audiences that the networks have, but by the blogosphere conversations, they engender some fanatical fans.

The only one of these shows I have seen is Dexter and I found the serial killer very appealing. I know that sounds strange, but if you watch it you'll see what I mean. Dexter is a serial killer with rules and principles; that doesn't make the killings right, but since he focuses on bad guys, somehow it becomes more acceptable.

I'm going to try to contact someone from Showtime. I want to understand the reasoning behind their decisions to shoot so much of their schedule here. If they can do it, why can't others? I'll get back to you on this one, but in the meantime, check out Showtime if you're tired of the more homogenized fare the networks provide.

Sharon

2 comments:

  1. When you sign up be sure to ask about any promotions your television provider might be having now. I have a package deal with Time Warner and part of it is I get HBO and Showtime for the price of one of them. I can tell by the way my billing is set up that the discount comes out of the money Time Warner receives and I am still supporting Showtime.

    I would be interested to learn where HBO films some of their programming. They have more original series than Showtime. I bet several are filmed in LA even though they are set in other locations.

    Thanks again Sharon for keeping us informed!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next week HBO it is. I know they have some excellant programing. And thanks for the tip about the promos for additional savings. Showtime is definitely way out there, and anyone should be warned in advance. One reviewer said that Californication was nothing but "drugs, sex and vomit...". Hey it's filmed in Malibu, it's reality TV!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete