Sunday, May 30, 2010

You Cut

Eric Cantor, the Republican House Minority Whip has started a grass roots effort to cut wasteful spending by our government. Now, what is wasteful to some is necessary to others. So I'm not even going to go there and tell you what I think is wasteful and what is not. In fact, let me tell you right now that I am an Independent, and I like to find my own path through the morass that has become the politics of government on all levels. What I am proud of is that I try to stay informed and get involved.

Whether one is liberal, conservative, or in the middle, I think everyone dislikes waste. After all, don't most of us recycle these days? We recognize that resources are finite, and a careful husbanding of those resources enables us to spend more on what we think is important.

Every week, Cantor lists a series of areas where at least he thinks we should look for savings. He provides some background information as well as an estimate of the savings that might result, should we eliminate/change/adjust - whatever action is called for. He has made a commitment to offer legislation based on the area/action for which most people have voted, and then to report back on the outcome.

I think it could be a wonderful tool if people of all persuasions would vote each week, making it a non-partisan view of what we feel collectively. There is an opportuinity for you to add your own ideas of where to focus our attention if any of the ideas proposed do not appeal. Just Google or Bing 'youcut' and send a message as to what you think they should do, or not do, with our money..

I know this is off message, but I thought it important enough to slip into our conversation.

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment