Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Why I am Blogging

I'm not in the film or TV industry. But I do know a lot of people that are. Most of them have one thing in common, they are not working. There are few jobs in the film capital of the world. Why is that? Because few films are made in California any longer.

So I started on a mission to find out why. I'm going to invite you on this journey with me, and please feel free to jump in and add facts to my investigative foray.

You may ask why I am doing this. I have two pretty straight forward answers:
  1. I'm a small business owner in the Valley, and half of my customers work for or depend on the film and TV industry. When they don't have money, they don't spend money. Simply stated, my business, selling clothing and accessories to women and an occasional man is in the doldrums.
  2. I'm a full-time volunteer for Susan G. Komen for the Cure; it is my true passion because I am a survivor, and I have daughters and granddaughters and friends I love and I don't want them to go through what I have gone through. With the jobs situation such as it is in California, the State cannot afford to provide screening and diagnosis to uninsured woman. And without jobs, there are lots of people without insurance, or without the money to purchase services like a mamogram. A woman's own health becomes less of a priority when she is trying to feed her children.

Tomorrow I'll tell you a couple of things I have found out already. And I even have an idea what each one of us can do to bring film and TV jobs back to Califonia.

Sharon Schlesinger

No comments:

Post a Comment